11/70 - original or 570 model more desirable?

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 07:24:33 CST 2019

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 9:49 PM Bill Degnan via cctech <
> cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> Random question
>> would you prefer having, if you had to pick only one, the original PDP
>> 11/70 or the newer "blue cabinets" PDP 11/70, assuming both were complete
>> configurations with racks of storage etc as they would have been sold, more
>> or less.
>>
>> Assume space and power are not issues, consider just the machine itself.
>>
>> Bill

At first i treated this as troll bait.  Then thought about it some.

First despite caveats I don't have space so the likelihood is nil.
Also its outside what I do collect, that crates conflicts for space,
power and documents.

The reasons I could give for one or another are multidimensional.

Esthetic, the early 11/70 was of an era and that had a look.  The later
one as well.

Historical significance,  thats limited to the general model the biggest
fastest 11
made but having say serial number 001 or whatever was first off the line
for sale is
as significant as the last one off the line or both.  Also any along the
way that had
a instruction set or major hardware difference of some historical note.
An example
of that would be an 11/74 as those were truly rare (maybe 4 assembled).

Operational, as in running it. definitely a late model near last built
as it would
have all the ECOs, be the least old, and should run well

Opportunity to save a machine that might be scrapped.  In itself thats
important
and it would be model independent.

Being a Qbus 11 collector there are still critters I might gather.

Allison