HP 1000 A class series boards

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 27 17:06:52 CST 2019

Hello Jesse,

I have this: http://everist.org/NobLog/20131112_HP_1000_minicomputer_teardown.htm

It's a stalled project, due to unfortunate circumstance. I was at the point of preparing
to reassemble the machine (after cleaning) and start testing. Wanted to first test the power
supply under dummy load, to check for bad caps etc. Could not find a schematic for this model
of power supply online. Had contacted Jon Johnston, who ran the Australian HP Museum. He said
he might have it, but was overseas (mountain climbing) at the time. He came back, but went off
climbing again in the Himalayas before I contacted him again to remind him. That time, he died
on the mountain.
This was doubly sad for me, since of my two best friends, now both dead, one had died climbing
in the Himalayas (David Hume, Mt Macalu 1996), and the other had nearly killed himself and me
by severe negligence while we were doing a short 30m climb here in Australia. So my HP 1000
restoration became something of an avoidance issue.

Since I joined cctalk and vintHP, I've been meaning to restart this project with assistance here.
But too busy so far with other things.

At the moment I'm not sure if my machine is an 'A-series' or not. How do I tell?
It's a 2113E, apparently quite a late model. I've had it and related hardware (minus disk drives)
since the early 2000's. It was a junkyard find. All in perfect condition except one of the two
tape drives has a little 'forklift damage' to the front. I rescued it all from being landfilled.

Guy