IBM 5100

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jan 25 08:53:44 CST 2019

Hello to all IBM 5100 owners,

I have started disassembling and commenting the Executable ROS of the 5100
that a kind soul has exctracted and provided me with the dump.

I've come across an inconsistency with the Maintenance Information Manual
as found on the net. I have both SY31-0405-2 and SY31-0405-3.

The issue is the description of the control I/O commands for device 1
(non-executable ROS selects). The manual says bit 12 is APL select and bit
13 is BASIC/Common select (page C-4), and that matches the block diagram
on page 5-20.
But in fact, the code uses the bits as defined for the 5110 (12=select
BASIC, 13=select APL, 14=select Common) and therefore, the 5100 must be
different from the system described in the MIMs.

So here are two questions:
- Does someone have a newer version of the MIM, i.e. SY31-0405-4 or greater?
   A scan would be wonderful, especially because the scans for the
   available MIMs are horrible...
- Are there known major revision changes in the 5100 line?

Christian

PS:
I really mean 5100, not 5110 or 5120 ;-)