HP board "gold recovery" garbage

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:01:06 CST 2019

I know folks get bent out of shape over board scrap listings, but like Will
said, there's actual money in those boards. It's my opinion that it
benefits the hobby to have scrappers listing stuff on eBay rather than just
putting them in the next Gaylord to go to the gold refiner guy. Of course,
I'd still rather have the whole machine get saved, but this stuff *is* junk
to 99% of the population.

I buy a lot of board scrap, both online and from clients, to either recover
parts for reuse, or to refurb boards (if they're in good enough shape). A
lot of it really is otherwise junk (boards from low volume custom
applications, stuff that's had catastrophic failures, etc.) and the scrap
guys for the most part don't really know the difference between "really is
junk" and "is something people want and will pay money for."

Jay, if you're really willing to pay out $300 for the one board, I'll see
if I can't acquire this lot of scrap too. I have no personal interest in HP
stuff, so anyone else wanting some is free to buy it. I won't try and get
it unless folks here are wanting to split it up though.

Thanks,
Jonathan