Interest in a DiscFerret?

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jan 10 02:43:33 CST 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019, Guy Dunphy wrote:
> * Also I have some old HP equipment that uses HP-format floppies. LIF?
> They're not DOS compatible.
>  A HP 1630G logic analyzer with 9121 GPIB dual floppy drive, and a HP
>  80000 data generator. For both machines I have old floppies containing
>  critical utilities (including a bunch of disassembly utilities for
>  early processors) that I really want to back up on PC and put online.

Now that is as easy as it can be. There's lif_utils from Tony Duell
(http://www.hpcc.org/datafile/hpil/lif_utils.html), or the HP LIF
Utilities (http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=56) for MS-DOS, of
even the LIF tools in HP-UX (e.g. lifls, lifcp).
But those 3½" HP floppies can be read on any standard PC with 3½" floppy
drive, they are in standard MFM format (with some special feature to mark
bad tracks, they put $FF in the sector headers and continue with the next
track). I've written a tool to read/write/format a diskette in 9122C
format to exchange data with our HP1000.

Christian