Vintage-computing relevant IOBCC entry

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 05:37:49 CST 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:20, Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, thorough.

Isn't it? :-o

> I attempted to port the same version of unix to an rl02 disk pack and to run on an actual 11/40. I was able to get ir to boot up to the # prompt but my system does not have a working EIS card to proceed any further.

*Wow*. My hat is off to you.

So, FTAOD -- this entrant to the 25th obfuscated C contest celebrates
the 50th anniversary of C.

It includes a PDP-7 emulator, running the first available known
snapshot of T&R Unix. Then, *inside* that, it includes a PDP-11
emulator -- yes, that's right, a PDP-11 emulator for the PDP-7 -- and
on that, it runs Unix v6, on which it can run the first ever
obfuscated C contest winner.

I found it quite astonishing.