Teaching Approximations (was Re: Microcode, which is a no-go for

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Jan 8 17:04:16 CST 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> 3.142 was good enough for Edward Elgar.

Approximations are what is needed for real world use.
How much accuracy do I need for making a patio table base for a RAMAC
[CRASHED!] platter, using a handheld circular saw, and a guess of the kerf
width?

I have just always found it offensive that 22/7 wasn't properly identified
as being an approximation!

But, using a crude code of 'A' = 1, 'B' = 2, 'C' = 3, etc.
"ELGAR" appears in PI at decimal digits 7608455