Bogus "account hacked" message

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Jan 8 15:11:23 CST 2019

Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 1/8/19 12:20 PM, Kevin Lee via cctalk wrote:
> > Delete it don’t respond and ignore it.. been getting them too.. change your password
> > If your that concerned.. it’s a fishing trip..

My concern is for anyone on the mailing list who finds the the outrageous
claims in these spams to be vaguely plausable and might be quitely sweating
and considering paying these slimeballs while embarrassed to ask for advice
first, thinking that they are the only ones receiving these emails.

> Yeah, I get the one occasionally that claims to have compromising video
> taken with my PC's webcam.   Except, of course, my computer doesn't have
> and never has had a webcam.

This was the case with this particular spam, however, I don't even have a PC,
let alone a webcam so I too can be absolutely certain they are talking
nonsense.

> About the most persistent spam that I receive on my cctalk email are ads
> from an outfit offering cheap Canadian drugs.

I worked in the email field for about 15 years.  I operate my own mail server,
I use lots of different email addresses for different purposes and I am very
careful with them.  I receive almost zero spam on my cctech/cctalk email
address.

In case anyone doesn't know because they receive a lot of spam direct to
their email address, practically no spam at all is delivered through the
classiccmp listserver - Jay does a tremendous job in stopping spam from
arriving via that path.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.