OT? Upper limits of FSB

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:23:24 CST 2019

> On Jan 6, 2019, at 1:31 PM, dwight via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Surprisingly, this is actually good for older languages like Forth that are fugal with RAM.

Why so (why surprising, I mean)? Understood an unrolled loop executes faster, RISC instruction sets have lower information density than CISC instruction sets and therefore bigger RAM footprint, and look-up tables are faster than long division (or working an infinite series for a transcendental function…). But I’ve been worried for a while that the lesson many software engineers are learning is

(more RAM usage) == (faster execution)

and I don’t think that’s a valid lesson. Dwight, thanks for pointing out the counter-example!