off topic - capatob - saratov2 computer Russsian pdp8? HELP

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:09:37 CST 2019

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM Peter Corlett via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Thanks to inflation, $0.25 in 1972 is worth $1.51 now. Likewise, $1.25 has
> inflated to $7.54. So they're cheaper in real terms than they used to be.
>
> However, it's still not entirely comparable, as I suspect nobody's making
> 74-series chips any more so you're buying NOS. A modern equivalent would
> be a
> microcontroller, which start at well under a dollar.

Logic chips still have their uses, and are most certainly still being made.
You can still get 74LS parts, in a DIP package even:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/SN74LS00N/296-1626-5-ND/277272

Note: it's an active production part, too.

Kyle