Ordering parts onesie twosie (was: One of Bay Area's last Fry's Electronics stores closes)

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Tue Dec 31 17:15:11 CST 2019

On 12/31/19 3:03 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:
>> And what would I do with 50 when I need 2?
>
> Save them for the next project?

My garage is full of stuff saved for the next project. At some point one
runs out of space. Or recollection that one bought 48 extra capacitors
years ago.

>> I paid $8 shipping. I’d pay close to that in gas to drive to the local
>> Fry’s.
>

> Your local Fry's must be far or you got a serious gas guzzler there... My point is that when there was a RadioShack on every corner you could get a part easy and with minimum fuss (and only $0.30 in gas).

20 miles away at $3.50/gallon and 23 city mpg gets one roughly close to $8.

A RadioShack selling capacitors on every corner made more sense when
electronics devices were made from more components that could be
replaced individually using inexpensive equipment. It is more of a
specialty product now.

alan