Value of Altair 8800b

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 15:23:44 CST 2019

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 3:13 PM crufta cat via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> The 8800B is not the same as the original Altair 8800.  No Idea of value.
>
> I happen to have an early 8800 (low SN), and a 8800BT nd the only thing
> they
> have in common s 8080 CPU (entirely different board),  S100, andmade by
> MITS.
>
> Allison
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 2:49 PM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> > On 12/21/19 2:42 PM, David Williams via cctalk wrote:
> > > Trying to figure out a fair value for the following:
> > >
> > > Altair 8800b with two Altair floppy drives. System is clean but hasn't
> > > been turned on since the 70s. No software or manuals available.
> Contains
> > > the follow boards:
> > >
> > > 1 CPU
> > > 2 Floppy disk controller
> > > 3 MITS 16k dynamic memory boards (48k ram total)
> > > 1 MITS 8800 Disk BD1 Rev 0 x4
> > > 1 SIO board with 2 serial ports
> > > 1 MITS 8800 PMC Rev01 2k Prom Board
> > >
> > > Can reply off list.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > David

Other than completeness, a key factor is how close a particular system is
to booting up to a monitor prompt or disk OS.  With the disk controller set
that adds to the value.  I'd insure if shipping as you describe it for
$2000.  Unknown operational condition is a factor, you really should find a
way to safely test, otherwise assume it does not work not the other way
around.  Odds are the system will need restoration.

Bill