Archiving information, was Re: ADM-3A question

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 16 13:26:43 CDT 2019

One of the problems with archiving is what to do with items that are not popular. Some things might be more valued ten or twenty years in the future but not now. Is the fact that the item has relatively low interest now a possible reason to not archive it in a searchable form for future reference?
What about things that are scattered on other personal sites currently that may be gone next week? So much information is already lost.
Who determines what should be saved? What say you come across a rare document but the copy was poorly done at a lower than desired resolution. Do you refuse to post it because it doesn't meet your standards or do you post it with a note that it is the best to date? Judging such things can be arbitrary and be the reason for lost information.
At least when you publish a book, there is a chance that some copy may be saved. Now with information sitting on someones disk drives, it could be deletes with one mistake.
This is a really complicated issue. I'm getting older and know I'm on the tail end of my life. Still, I have no way to begin to pass on what I have. I doubt my heirs would care much unless it had significant monetary value.
Dwight