I'm sharing a toy

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Thu Aug 8 13:33:50 CDT 2019

> On Aug 8, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Adam Thornton via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Yeah, you might be able to DOS my Raspberry Pi.  Maybe you could break out
> of simh and start using the Pi itself to mine bitcoins.

I know you’re joking around, but IoT gadgets and other small devices are being exploited right now to great effectiveness as attack amplifiers or penetration aids. They won’t mine coins on your Pi, or attack you directly, but they _will_ use your Pi as a means to attack others - for which you can be held legally liable in some jurisdictions. And it won’t be a human who makes the call, it will be an automated attack bot that will slam every port it can attempting to find something its masters can abuse to make money. I ran public instances of TOPS-20 and ITS for years, and eventually had to give up due to lack of interest by anyone except chinese bots using up all the TCP connections with (usually Cisco) exploit attempts.

This is, after all, The Internet, and The Internet ruins all things as quickly as possible. This is why we can’t have nice things.