What do to with an Internet-connected PDP-11?

Richard Cini rich.cini at verizon.net
Sun Apr 28 11:24:06 CDT 2019

All –

                Over the last few months, I’ve built myself a nice little PDP-11/23 with a SCSI interface/drive, extra SLUs and Ethernet. With the help of a few people, I was able to get an Ethernet configuration running, which is kind of cool. It’s been a great learning process getting this up and running. It’s a Q18 system, so memory is limited and I don’t think able to run BSD (I’m running RT-11 right now).

So, for playing around, what can I practically do with this? Is it even possible to access any Web sites (unconventional browsing for sure; I’ve read about telnetting to port 80)? I’m sure email is possible, as is FTP/Telnet (I’ve used that inside my lab setup), but I don’t really know where to start with that.

                If anyone has any pointers/suggestions, I’d appreciate it.

                Thanks!

Rich

--

Rich Cini