PDP-11/83 w/FPU?

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Wed Apr 17 14:44:17 CDT 2019

?Hi friends. I am putting together a PDP-11 set up. i have a few CPUs available to me, a 11/23+, an 11/73 and I also have available to me an 11/83, M8190-AE .

I would like to try to run as many different OS's as may interest me, including some unixes as possible (bsd...etc).  My question is, are there any OSes that need the floating point option?

Another question is, would I see any improvement in performance with the FPU compared to without it? Or does the application running need to be something like fortran to see any perceivable difference?

Thanks