Daisywhell typewriter emulating a TTY

Dave Babcock dave at babcock-family.org
Wed Apr 10 11:54:30 CDT 2019

To all,

The Computer History Museum's IBM 1620 Jr. project has already done
this.  We have converted an IBM Wheelwriter 1000 electric typewriter
into a computer terminal.  The conversion consists of a custom PCB with
an Arduino Teensy 3.5 microcontroller which is physically installed in
the typewriter, electrically in-between the keyboard and typewriter
motherboard, with custom firmware.

The initial work was to create a robust substitute for the IBM 1620's
console typewriter.  However, software changes are being completed this
month to extend it into a general-purpose, easily-adapted, ASCII
teleprinter.

We demoed the device as part of our VCF West display last August at
which we took 1st Place in Best of Show and 2nd Place in
Restorations/Replicas.

We will be making all of our design files, software, and documentation
available free to the classic computer community.

To whet your appetite, here's the step-by-step, illustrated guide for
the physical conversion of the typewriter:
https://github.com/IBM-1620/Junior/raw/master/docs/wheelwriter-adaptation-instructions.pdf

We'll be posting a formal announcement of this device within a few months.

This work has been done by Joe Fredrick, Steve Casner, and myself.

Thanks,
Dave