Storage for 1/2" open reel tape

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 5 16:20:43 CDT 2019

On 4/5/19 1:49 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:
>> I hit on the idea of using 16mm move film plastic "cans".  Much to my
>> surprise, I found that there is still an active market for these
>> things.
>
> Chuck,
>
> For the uneducated amongst us exactly what are you referring to? Are you talking about the plastic can where the tape sits in? Or the strap that goes around the plastic cover or something entirely different?

Take a look at the image here:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/historic-image-of-an-old-computer-tape-high-res-stock-photography/128587299

See how each reel of tape hangs from a slot in a horizontal bar?  Those
white-and-black strips wrapped around the tapes are what I'm referring
to as being deteriorated.

Here's a photo of a single tape reel with one:

http://ibmcollectable.com/gallery/album124/2400ft_tape

IBM used a somewhat different attachment for their auto-loading drives.
I can't find an online photo of one, but I have several of those.
Rather than using a single flexible strip, they used a multi-part rigid
plastic surround.

--Chuck