Advice requested on proper disposal of Seagate ST3000DM001 disk drives

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Sep 22 16:53:59 CDT 2018

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:
J> How about removing the (presumably aluminum) platters, case castings,
and any other aluminum parts, grinding it all down to fine aluminum flakes,
> making thermite out of that, then using it to slag the rest of the
> non-aluminum parts?
> Then shoot the slag pile with a .50 BMG.
> Then drop that into lava.
> Then scoop out the contaminated lava and drop it into a singularity.

OR carfully pack that into the original Seagate package, gift-wrap it, and
let it get stolen.

> Becase overkill is best kind of kill.
> Did I miss any steps?
> Oh, yeah: Play country music the whole time, to make it all more painful for the drives.

We might have to draw a line at some point.

Although country music would make a good soundtrack for the YouTube video
"How to refurbish an ST3000DM001"
Need some SEO to make that the first hit on every search for Seagate.

Q: Is that the worst drive you've ever encountered?