Oddball Terminals (Was: Re: VT100's)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Sep 7 14:17:26 CDT 2018

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 2:57 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I just put up some pictures of the vt02, 05, 20, and 71t
> under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/terminal

Nice, working photos of a VT20.  I'd forgotten the oddball keys on the side.

In the VT71 picture, you can see the UDKs -- the blank keycaps in the top row.  Above them are handwritten labels on that piece of cardboard, indicating what each one does (regular and shifted, two macros per key).  There are some obvious newspaper specific functions, like "Wire dir sports" or "head fit" (i.e., take the current story headline and report how wide it is, to see if it fits in the columns allowed for it).

The VT72 document has a description of the display controller, so if VT71/72 software ever materializes that can be used to teach SIMH how to emulate the terminal.

	paul