modern stuff

Jim Manley jim.manley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:06:13 CDT 2018

One of my postgraduate school CS professors worked on the iAPX 432 and his
tidbit about the history of its development was that, whenever the EEs were
confronted with a hardware-level problem by the CSs, the EEs would
universally respond with, "Oh, well, that can be fixed by you software guys
with a SMOP (small matter of programming).", in the microcode, and Intel's
reference assembler, linker, and compilers.

Obviously, he returned to academia before the project collapsed in a heap,
and he might have had to scramble and compete with other departing CS PhDs
(who would also have hung around too long).  Many would probably be looking
at another job where microprocessor microcode, assembler, linker, compiler,
and system-level library development experience would have been highly
desirable, and perhaps where the EEs were more reasonable.  Plus, he didn't
have to put "Served on what became the sunken shipwreck iAPX 432" on his
resume/CV.  That's because it wasn't yet at the Sixth Phase in the Six
Phases of a Project, "Punishment of the Innocent, and Rewards for the
Non-Participants".