Microsoft-Paul Allen

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 06:09:09 CDT 2018

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 23:41, Jim Manley via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> This reference to "object-oriented" is way off, conflating GUI "objects"
> and true object-oriented software.

Yep. Welcome to the wonderful world of marketing. :-(

> Ummmm ... no.  You're apparently completely uninformed about MIT Project
> Athena, aka The X Window System, or X11, or just X, for short, and no, it's
> not plural.

Um. Right. See my length post in the other thread.

> BTW, MacOS X is based on Mach, the version of Unix that was designed for
> multiple, closely-coupled processors,

Yes...

> and it, too, uses X as a basis for
> its GUI.

No it doesn't.

Not at all, not even a little bit.

Mac OS X is based on NeXTstep. NeXTstep used Display Postscript as its
display server.

Postscript is encumbered by Adobe patents (and is mainly intended for print.)

Thus, Mac OS X moved from Display Postscript to Quartz, which renders
PDF to the screen. "Display PDF" instead of DPS.

Early OS X versions included a separate X server so that Unix X.11
apps could be run. It does not any longer, AFAIK. (I am running 10.13
on my iMac at home.)

> The iPhone was the best example of this - after swearing there would never
> be an iPhone for years, they actually shipped the original version, not
> only without an elegant copy/paste mechanism, but no means of performing
> copy/paste at all for the first year, let alone not provided a means for
> anyone outside Apple and its partners to create native apps.

I think you should read this:

https://blog.fawny.org/2018/10/22/hardtouse/