Microsoft-Paul Allen

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon Oct 22 15:54:36 CDT 2018

On 10/22/2018 08:14 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> *Every* Unix desktop out there draws on Win95.

Nope.  That's simply not true.

The following three vast families of window managers / desktops prove
(to my satisfaction) that your statement is wrong.

  · Common Desktop Environment (a.k.a. CDE) and it's ilk.
  · The various *Box window managers / desktop environments.
  · Motif window manager and it's ilk.

They are all significantly different from each other and from Windows's
Explorer interface, first publicly debuting with Windows 95.

> The Win95 Explorer re-wrote the book on OS UI design.

"A" book, maybe.  I don't think it was "the" book.

> The _only_  company to resist was Apple, because of course, some of the
> reasons that Win95 is the way it is are attempts to do things differently
> from Apple so as not to get sued.

I think /company/ is critical in that statement as it implies for profit
business which excludes many other non-business related options.  Even
then, IBM, Sun, HP, etc were releasing commercial Unixes with CDE and /
or Motif after Windows 95.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die