Selling keyboards without the terminal

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Oct 20 10:51:51 CDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018, 9:42 AM Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

>     > From: Al Kossow
>
>     > The quality of modern keycaps is poor.
>     > These guys are after mechanical boards with double-shot keytops.
>
> There's something I'm still not quite grasping.
>
> I can see two reasons for people liking the old keyboards:
>
> - i) Higher quality construction
> - ii) Connection, through a historial artifact, to an earlier age
>
> Am I missing any?
>
> I can definitely see the first (I myself find many modern keyboards to be
> complete crap), but if that's _all_ it is, I'd think there'd be a market
> for
> modern production of quality keyboards - not a large market, true, but I'd
> think it would be large enough to be worth servicing? (Unless the cost to
> produce such would be so high that there wouldn't be any buyers - but that
> seems at odd with some of the prices being mentioned.)
>
> So maybe people _only_ want keyboards that have both i) and ii)?

I recently got a decent gamers keyboard for $60. Nnice rocker switches.
Loud as hell, like the old model M battleships. Works great and has the
same feel as the old ones. Even fing glows in the dark. Has just the right
touch. No clue why you'd need a retro one to get the retro feel.

So there's something else. Some people are judgemental about it, others are
less judgmental. It's the separation from original context that I object
to.

Warner