Microsoft-Paul Allen

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 19:22:07 CDT 2018

On 2018-10-19 5:17 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 1:51 AM Jim Manley via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> long before the Color Graphics Adapters were
>> available, about six months after launch, and the CGAs were only
>> produced in response to the completely unanticipated demand for the
>> PC.
>>
> Are you certain? My then boss* and I went to a Computerland store in
> Denver** on August 12, 1981, to pick up a PC that he had preordered***. My
> (possibly faulty) recollection was that they had both MDA and CGA adapters
> on that day, though they might not have had the CGA monitor in stock.

I recall the day PC was announce or shortly a letter was sent to all the
employees outlining an employee purchase plan.  The CGA adapter was
certainly part of the initial offering as I ordered one almost
immediately including a CGA adapter since with it I would not have to
buy a monitor right away.  I received it less than 6 months later
complete with a CGA adapter.  The biggest reason it took a few months to
get it is the employee response was huge but only a percentage of the
production was was allocated to employee sales.

Paul