Selling keyboards without the terminal

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Fri Oct 19 17:34:22 CDT 2018

Anybody else notice that all the buyers for that keyboard on ebay are under
10 feedback?

The only Digital keyboards I have are a pair of LK411-AA that go with my
VT-525's. The recycler kept a stack of VT-525s for a while but the stack of
LK411 that went with them got their cords cut and chucked into the plastic
pile the day after they arrived (luckily I snagged a pair before then).

I have a small hoard of IBM model M's purchased from a recycler years ago
for a few bucks each. I use one on my main rig (has PS/2 adapter connected
to a Belkin SOHO 4 port KVM), same setup in the basement. I would dig though
the incoming pallets looking for the IBM keyboards and passing on the
Unicomp ones.  Used to use a Northgate Omnikey 102 but the layout difference
between the Model M (which I used in multiple places) made me retire it. My
other Northgate is connected to an Amiga 2000.

My first use of a terminal keyboard was in college (IBM terminals connected
to a mainframe for Fortran programming) and I loved those keyboards. They
are kind of hard to find locally (I do have an IBM 1390702 missing a PF
keycap and its cable plus a small chunk on plastic in the rear) and a shitty
Unicomp model DCI0952 that is complete with a PS/2 cable.

I think you need to pay a decent amount of money for a good clicky USB
keyboard these days (most like a gamer style keyboard). Everything else is
kind of mushy cheap crap. So I can see somebody who does a lot of typing
wanting a vintage keyboard with a good feel to it. Since I have enough Model
M's to last a lifetime I don't see paying $150+ for a new keyboard.

Not that many people need a terminal these days, so the terminal either gets
trashed or at least somebody saves the keyboard. I know collectors will
bitch about that but what can you do? A $1000 keyboard will make a scrappers
year, same keyboard connected to a CRT screen might get $100 and be a pain
to ship.