Microsoft-Paul Allen

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:53:05 CDT 2018

On 10/19/18 1:14 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

>>> IBM developed a Token Ring card for the PC in time for its launch
> IBM's initial networking for the PC (The PC Network) was broadband, based
> on technology from Sytek. 4Mb token ring was released later. Exact dates
> are in the manuals on bitsavers.
>
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/pc/pc_network/6322916_PC_Network_Technical_Reference_Sep84.pdf
>
> Another project (sigh..) has been to collect all the parts to put a Sytek
> network together.

I used to have a bunch of Sytek gear, including a StatMon.  I once wrote

a program in C on a 3B2 to collect, display and analyze the data from the

StatMon.  I also, working with a good friend who now teaches at Texas A&M

(unless he finally retired!) helped write a program to function as a DNS for

a Sytek Network.  Delivered a paper on it at the Sytek Users Group
Conference

at NTSU in Denton, TX.  Good luck getting it running.  Hope you know a lot

about broadband networks because it ain't as easy as cable TV. :-)  I even

used to have a portable cable plant for explaining it to potential
customers.

Those were the days.  Sigh....

> I'm looking for a 50/50 Central Retransmission Unit, though I do have the
> little brother to it that IBM sold for the PC Network.
>
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/sytek/brochures/LocalNet_50_50_Central_Retransmission_Unit_Brochure_Sep82.pdf

bill