Selling keyboards without the terminal

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:48:00 CDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM js--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 10/19/2018 10:34 AM, Bill Degnan via
> cctalk wrote:
> > Here is a great example of why the keyboards and terminals are getting
> > separated
> >

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-3101-beam-spring-keyboard-purchased-new-in-1982/123422383512?hash=item1cbc8c1d98:g:sCkAAOSwfbhbwQvU
> >
> > Note the price $2000 so far.  How could one blame the seller.  I wonder
> if
> > this is the terminal I sold to a buyer in California years ago when I
> sold
> > my Series/1 computer.  All he wanted was the terminal, I donated the rest
> > to what was the MARCH museum.  At the time I remember having a few words
> > with the buyer who would not also take the Series/1 system (2 racks) or
> the
> > manuals.
> >
> > There is a naked terminal up for grabs if you're out his way.
> >
> > Bill
>
> B, I don't get it.  Why is the keyboard
> being sold alone, when the terminal is
> right there?
>
> And how come this particular keyboard is
> so hugely in demand?
>
> - J.

I sold the entire Series/1 system for $1000 many years ago, and the guy
only wanted the terminal.  The rest could be discarded as far as the buyer
cared.  This is not a new thing I guess.  Probably this is not the same
person selling now that bought my terminal then, now that I see the
location, but you never know.

I do have a few orphaned keyboards from who knows when, spares and so on,
but not as a result of intentionally selling just the terminal :-)