OTsorta : Old phone system(s) avail

Andrew Luke Nesbit ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Wed Oct 17 13:24:33 CDT 2018

Thanks Liam!!  Please read on below...

On 17/10/2018 17:07, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 17:54, Andrew Luke Nesbit via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have an idea for a project to reduce my dependency on my phone.  I'm
>> trying to move to a model where voice, voicemail, and SMS are all that I
>> need when I'm on the go.
>
> There are plenty of such devices around.

By "model" I meant something different so I think I may have confused
some readers.  But the answers I got have been very helpful anyway.

> https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/16/nokia-8110-4g-review-nostalgia-the-matrix-banana-phone

>From the list you posted, the Nokia 8810 looks like my favourite so far.
 But the details of the review leave many things to be desired,
especially the reported difficulty of texting.

In fact, by "model", I meant a simple model of usage, i.e., voice and
SMS to reduce dependence on the phone.  If the phone breaks or is
stolen, disruption to life is minimal.  This also means that the phone
is not used for 2FA (I believe using one's primary phone for 2FA is a
terrible idea).

Second, relatively advanced functionality can be implemented by sending
SMS messages with simple commands and receiving a response to the phone
in some appropriate format.  The server-side service, which might use a
service like Twilio, could do the heavy lifting.  A navigation service
would be a useful service if you find yourself in a pinch, for example.

Third, access to WiFi and 4G are necessary for tethering, for when the
user wants to do real computing on a GNU/Linux laptop.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9