TK50, was: Re: [TUHS] Ultrix Tape: Block Size?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:50:02 CDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 8:15 AM emanuel stiebler via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> there were
> TK50Z as an external drive, on "SCSI"

I have one - for a MicroVAX 2000.  I rarely used it.

> TK50 on QBUS with an TQK50 controller which really didn't stream to often

We had one in the 1980s.  You are right.  It didn't.

> TK50 on QBUS with an TQK70 controller, which doubled the memory of the
> TQK50, which was capable of streaming ...

Ooh!  That works?  I might have to nab a TQK70 for that MicroVAX II I
have (the one we had at work in the 1980s.  I got it when the company
folded).

Mostly, really just need to image any tapes I have more than write new
tapes, presuming the media hasn't degraded too much in the past 30
years.

-ethan