Wanted: tech docs on original Iomega 8-inch full height 10MB Bernoulli drive (Alpha-10)

Ian Primus ian.primus.ccmp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 23:42:16 CDT 2018

I can confirm that the media is starting to degrade - at least, it
does if it wasn't stored properly. I have a couple of cartridges here
that are shedding badly. You can manually open the cartridge by
tripping the catches and sliding the door open, and look at it. Here's
a picture of such a shedding/unusable cartridge after an attempt to
read it:
https://i.imgur.com/Pb4AyQo.jpg
The oxide clogs the heads up pretty good - it's vital to keep the
heads clean and to inspect cartridges before using them so you don't
gunk them up. Look for dull/chalky looking media. Obviously any mold
spots are bad as well. And if you do get a bunch of read errors
(clunking noise), be sure to check and clean the heads before using a
good cartridge. I'm not sure if the oxide buildup will damage
otherwise good media, but I can't help but think it might.

I do have a fully working 10MB drive and controller, and the ability
to image cartridges.

I'd love to find more actual technical documentation on these drives
as well, everything I know about them is from getting mine to run. I'm
also always looking for more cartridges.

-Ian