Scan of Micro Peripherals Inc MPI 91/92 Product Manual Avail?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Oct 5 18:23:06 CDT 2018

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018, Bill Degnan wrote:
> The 91/92 is pretty rare compared to the 51/52.   I bet one could glean
> *most* of what one would need from the 51/52 manual, but not all.  Could be
> totally different too.  The guy who contacted me I think wants to make his
> 91 "into" a 51.   But wow the 91/92 manual is not already scanned,
> surprised.

Converting a 91/92 into a 51/52 would require a different HEAD, as well as
changing the stepper.  Stepping could be dealt with in software, to double
step, but the narrower head means that it would not do an acceptable job
of RE-writing tracks that had been previously written by a "normal" 48tpi
drive, and that would ever need to be READ later by a "normal" 48tpi
drive.

Unless there is some DESPERATE need for the push button door latch,
cosmetic match, or something, it would make more sense to find a 48tpi drive.

OTOH, it is likely (NOT A CERTAINTY) that the 91/92 is similar enough that
parts other than head or stepper from 91/92 could be used to repair a
broken 51/52.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com