Ethernet names...

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 12:07:56 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 10:55 PM Grant Taylor via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 10/02/2018 05:27 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> > 3 Mbps Ethernet is _NOT_ Ethernet I. Both Ethernet I and II were 10 Mbps
> > DIX standards, with II having only minor differences from I.
>
> Okay.  Thank you for the correction ~> clarification.
>
> Now I'll keep an eye out (but not quite search for) the differences
> between Ethernet (I) and Ethernet II

The Ethernet I and II standards are available from Bitsavers:
    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/xerox/ethernet/

>From the preface of _The Ethernet_ Version 2.0:
Version 2.0 of the Ethernet specification reflects the experience of the
three corporations in designing equipment to the Version 1.0 specification.
Version 2.0 includes network management functions and better defines the
details of the physical channel signalling. Version 2.0 is upward
compatible with Version 1.0. Equipment designed to the two specifications
is interoperable.