Ethernet names...

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu Oct 4 10:59:39 CDT 2018

On 10/04/2018 02:31 AM, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
> It was probably just known as "Ethernet". If there's only one kind,
> why give it a longer name to distinguish it from future variants that
> may never come to be?  My bumph tells me it was called "Experimental
> Ethernet", but I suspect that's a name given to it in retrospect.

I agree that the "Experimental" in "Experimental Ethernet" is in fact
probably retroactive.

> "Ethernet I" and "Ethernet II" were 10Mb/s thicknet variants which evolved
> into the 802.3/10Base5 standards. The exact details of the differences
> are probably lost in time.

The contributions to this thread have satisfied my curiosity / question
that "Ethernet (I)" was not the 3 Mbps Experimental Ethernet.

> Although thicknet is finally dead -- we had to hammer many stakes into
> the cable to make sure, but managed it in the end --

Um … I'm somewhat reluctant to tell you that there's a Thicknet segment
in my basement with transceivers attacked.  I've not sent traffic across
it /yet/.  But I will.  ;-)

Admittedly, it is purely for edutainment and hobbyist retro-computing /
retro-networking reasons.

> Ethernet II's layer 2 protocol remains in use in modern IP networks,
> and contemporary usage of "Ethernet II" refers to just that rather than
> the older standard.

Yep.

I need to re-read something to see if (a variant of) Ethernet II frames
are used for IP on WiFi or if they are closer to 802.2 LLC + SNAP
similar to what is used on other, non-Ethernet, 802 networks.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die