Ethernet names...

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:45:44 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018, 11:47 Bill Degnan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Ethernet was the name given to the Alto (XEROX) Aloha Network

It wasn't an Aloha Network.

created (?)
> by Bob Metcalff (sp?), which was based/inspired by an improved version of
> the ALOHANET used by the U of Hawaii.

In their CACM paper, Metcalfe and Boggs credit the Aloha Network, but
Ethernet was an entirely new network design, not an incremental improvement
to Aloha Network.

  I think Ethernet was a nickname,

I wasn't there, but I've never seen any source claim that it was a nickname.

eventually becoming the official name of what was originally the Alto Aloha
> Network.

I've never heard of an Alto being connected to an Aloha Network, nor of any
network inside Xerox being called "Aloha".