6809 Monitor

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Oct 2 15:31:27 CDT 2018

On 10/2/2018 12:51 PM, Lawrence Wilkinson via cctalk wrote:
> On 02/10/18 21:24, tim lindner via cctalk wrote:
>> Does anyone have source to a 6809 monitor program?
>>
>> I'm looking for something I can make work in a CoCo.
>>
>> Functionality I'm looking for is something that will let me read and
>> write to memory.
>>
> There is a listing of ASSIST09 in this Motorola book:
> http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/Genes-os9-stf/MC6809-MC6809E%208-Bit%20Microprocessor%20Programming%20Manual%20(Motorola%20Inc.)%201981.pdf
>
> This might be overkill, as it has single-step, breakpoints etc.
>
> If you type it in, note that the listing omits the second and
> subsequent hex bytes for constants (FCB) !
>
> LJW

If you look at page B-65 (pdf 189) where it mentions "Start NMI
Timeout", there is a bit of hardware you have to add to the design, and
set up and control the NMI.  The hardware counts cycles and applies the
NMI right after you go to the opcode to be traced, and sends you back
into the monitor via NMI.

I did a quick scan and didn't see what board they assume for a reference
design which may have the NMI trace part of the board.

We had an option board which would kill the main firmware and add a
debugger, this hardware, and a serial port to a controller we had, which
turned any board into a debugging system.  There was another slight mod
and a diagnostic firmware we also had on an addon board to allow testing
the peripheral we were controlling, and run diagnostics on other hardware.

I had a lot of fun getting this monitor going, and a friend implemented
a Forth for the diagnostic system for scripting.

Thanks
Jim