VT100's

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:52:32 CDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> On Sep 7, 2018, at 10:55 PM, Josh Dersch via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> TI made a clamshell portable VT220-compatible terminal with an LCD screen,
>> the Travelmate LT220.  It's very nice, the LCD is high-contrast (but no
>> backlight) and it even has a built in 2400bps modem.  I believe it can run
>> off of a battery as well.  It's very handy.
>>
>> There's a picture of one near the bottom of this page:
>> http://ummr.altervista.org/sistemi_x86.htm <http://ummr.altervista.org/sistemi_x86.htm>
>>
>> - Josh
>
> That’s an interesting terminal.  Totally pointless for me, but it would be cool.

I have a Zenith ZFL-181-93 that I treat like the LT220 - it boots to
DOS 3.3 off of 3.5" 720K floppy and the only application on it is
Kermit.  It makes a nice portable terminal that way that if I ever got
around to it, I could replace the stack of NiCd C-cells and run off
battery power, but it works fine from wall power.

I think it would be cool to have an LCD dumb terminal but an old 8088
LCD laptop that runs DOS and Kermit is the next best thing.  One thing
I can do with the Zenith is run a Xircom Pocket Ethernet adapter off
the printer port and (with the right packet driver shim) do Kermit
over TCP/IP, not just over serial.  That's very nice in a closed
environment where one can tolerate using telnet.

-ethan