Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Nov 27 07:29:51 CST 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 01:21:52AM +1100, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> Oh yes, tell me about the html 'there is no such thing as hard formatting and
> you can't have any even when you want it' concept. Thank you Tim Berners Lee.

Sure you can! Pick one of:

a) If you're not using HTML features, don't bother wrapping the text in a HTML
   document. Just serve up a bog standard text/plain document with all of your
   favourite ASCII art and hard formatting as you please.

b) Go old-school and use HTML <pre>.

c) Go lah-di-dah new-school and use the CSS white-space: property to fine-tune
   the exact formatting behaviour of <pre> you desire.