e-mail, character sets, encodings (was Re: George Keremedjiev)

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:45:59 CST 2018

It's not a mailing list problem.  It's not even a mail problem. It's a

Mail User Agent problem.  It is a display problem.  It is up to the

users mail program to display the email as it was sent.  Unless the

user doesn't want to see anything in character sets other than

their favorite.  Nothing along the way should change anything

in an email message.  The endpoint should receive whatever the

beginning point sent out and either handle it or not.  But it is the

endpoints responsibility to try to display it accurately.  I often

send emails (and post on USENET) characters that are not a part

of ASCII or the English alphabet.  I certainly don't want someone

in between to modify what I send.

bill