Removing PVA from a CRT

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Mon Nov 19 19:12:38 CST 2018

On 11/19/18 1:48 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Nov 19, 2018, at 4:01 PM, Alan Perry via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>

>>>     Finally, a VR201 specific question. I booted the Rainbow over the
>>>     weekend and, looking through broken-down PVA, I could see the
>>>     Rainbow has booted and I could enter DOS commands. I could also
>>>     see white retrace lines. What is the likely cause of that on a
>>>     35-year-old CRT?
>>>

>>> Pics?
>> Here is an attempt to use Facebook for image hosting here. If it doesn't work, I will put the image up on a real image hosting site.
>>
>> https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46508514_10156808244977208_2306314600917762048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=81c3e1ded7cb1eb6b9d1200a604d9889&oe=5C7778F1
>>
>> alan
> It looks like you turned the intensity up so far that the retrace didn't get blanked fully.  Not much choice about that given the bad screen, I suppose.

Actually, the intensity is turned all of the way up because that is
where it happened to be when I connected everything up. I was so focused
on whether DOS had booted that it didn't even click in my head that I
could adjust the monitor to make it easier to read. I didn't notice that
I had things turned all the way up or even notice the retrace lines
until later when I looked at that picture.

alan