Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Nov 23 06:52:10 CST 2018

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 12:12:32PM +0100, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 01:55, Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
[...]
>> Also I have it configured to dust-bin any incomimg mail containing UTF-8
>> chars in the Subject header. Avoids a lot of time-wasting.
> That's English-language cultural snobbery. I'm a native Anglophone but I live
> in a non-English speaking country, Czechia.

Worse than that, it's *American* ignorance and cultural snobbery which also
affects various English-speaking countries. The pound sign is not in US-ASCII,
and the euro sign is not in ISO-8859-1, for example.

Amusingly, peering through my inbox in which I have mail in both Dutch and
English, the only one with a UTF-8 subject line is in English. It was probably
composed on a Windows box which "helpfully" turned a hyphen into an en-dash.