George Keremedjiev

ED SHARPE couryhouse at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 18:20:25 CST 2018

wrong not everybody sees it this is the only list serve  problems...  I suppose modern email programs either do not see or know what to do with the characters... please consider using the delete key and not reading  things frI'm me if it bothers,you
thanks ed#

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Pete Turnbull via cctalk <pete at dunnington.plus.com; cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
On 21/11/2018 22:46, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> On 11/21/18 5:19 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>> Ed,
>> It is YOUR mail program that is doing the extraneous insertions, and
>> then not showing them to you when you view your own messages.
>>
>> Seriously, YOUR mail program is inserting extraneous stuff.
>> Everybody? but you sees it.

> I don't.  I didn't see it until someone replied with a
> copy of the offending text included.

I see the extra spaces, which are non-break spaces. I think the reason
John was seeing uppercase A-circumflex characters is because Ed's email
is using UTF-8; however John's email client isn't respecting the header
that says so, and is using Western (ISO-8859-1). NBSP in UTF-8 is
A-circumflex in Western.

Amusingly, Bill's reply also contains a NBSP (after the full stop in
"don't".), which displays as A-circumflex when I change the coding in my
client.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull