Font for DEC indicator panels

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Nov 12 20:51:43 CST 2018

[Top posted to avoid trimming information that might be useful to many]

IFF DEC used a commercial font, then it should be possible to find it.

But, it is extremely likely that they did NOT use a commercial font, and
either had their graphics art people draw the characters as needed, or
used reference patterns of their own that are NOT incorporated into a
computer font.
Were these DEC "fonts" fully formed, or a very fine bit pattern?

Those sites should be excellent for finding something CLOSE. Maybe "close
enough".  Or close enough to use as a starting point for creating a new
computer font based on the examples that are extant.

Back in the day, before all of the look and smell IP law, font bit
patterns were often considered to NOT be copyrightable.  But the NAMES
were trademarkable.
Thus, MANY created fonts LIKE Helvetica and Times Roman, but could not
CALL THEM THAT, because Merganthaler? owned that name.
If creating a font, even one intended to resemble an existing one, the
artistic temperament would usually make a few things different, to be
"better", or just a personal touch.

For simple stuff, such as this, which isn't even an entire character
set, there were quite a few relatively easy to use font editors.  For
example, I used the POEMS font editor to create a few fonts for Cordata
(Corona Data Systems) printers and HP LaserJet.
I had a relatively trivial project, and the part that got finished
included screen fonts (including reverse video, which HP told me would be
"impossible"), and keycap fonts, for documentation.  Using my screen
capture program(s) Sybex used them heavily for books for DOS programs.
I used a Cordata printer for my software, but used POEMS to make HPLJ
versions of my fonts.
I also created some 5x7, 7x9, 9x12 HPLJ fonts, that I jokingly called
"FICHE fonts", that permitted me to print dozens of pages onto each
sheet of paper.  In those days, I could easily READ those on a table while
standing and lecturing to classes!  Now, I need +2.5 diopters to read
and text at all :-(

FONTOGRAPHER was generally considered better, and had capability of both
HP LaserJet and Postscript, but, as you said, there was a learning curve.

There were many others.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com