Another IC I Can't Identify

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 12 15:02:38 CST 2018

On 2018-Nov-11, at 2:04 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
> [...]

Well that (the circuit, as much as is presented) is quite bizarre.
There's not a lot to make sense of from what's shown.
If it's really that complex then the question is why? What is all that complexity intended to do, for the sake of reset?
Without understanding the intention you're stuck tracing your presumed faulty signal back hoping (luck) that you encounter a fault along the way.
But it may be that the pulsing is not itself a fault, but an intended (perhaps looped-back) consequence of some more-distant condition (ala the watchdog timers others were mentioning earlier).

Aside from continuing as you have been and hoping that you luck out, I'd be looking at options such as:
	- RE the whole thing and analyse it in entirety to figure out the intended reset operation.
	- Find the docs on the CPU and see if they could provide some explanation as to the intention, based on the CPU reset functionality.
	- Examine the schematics of other machines using the same CPU (as others have mentioned) to see if they have similar complexity around reset.
	- Double/triple check to ensure you haven't gone astray in the tracing.

A note regarding E141, the 7474 (and following 74174) are edge-triggered, not transparent, and will require activity on the CLK input to produce a pulsing output (if PRE is fixed high), activity on the CLR input is not alone sufficient.