Did anyone see Vintage Tech Hunters on Discovery Canada yet?

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Thu Nov 8 10:36:20 CST 2018

> I equate the reproductions to kit cars.  If you are wanting something to play
> / drive without angsting about damage, then IMHO, reproductions & kits are a
> great way to go.  Just don't pretend that they are the real thing.  Know that
> they are a reproduction / kit and enjoy the experience.

Indeed! Also, my friends often take their stuff to events where it's all
put out for the public to play at large. When the values get too high on
things, then they tend to get locked behind glass with the price guide
nearby and aren't as easily enjoyed.

> I've started seeing similar with old sound cards.  I'm following someone on
> Twitter that's recreating vintage Sound Blaster cards.  I've seen others that
> I can't remember the make / model of.

I think someone just did an Adlib remake. I am lucky that I still have two
Soundblaster 1.0s and a Gravis Ultrasound 1 and Pro or something. It's
neat to me that there is interest in it because that is how I grew up on
DOS PCs, but a bit surprising. A lot of it is driven by youtube stars like
LGR (who is awesome) who build hype. :-) But there are a lot of clones
that should be out there feature compatible and sound identical.

I gave my Adlib to friends for a Tandy system that gets put out at events
for people to play on. Mainly the Chesapeake VA Freeplay event at the
library and the museum room at MAGFest in MD (near DC.) The CM5/CM11
monitor exploded though, which sucks. Flyback died no reproductions yet.

I have to admit, I looked at some of those IIGS sound card reproductions
:-)

--
: Ethan O'Toole