DEC RSX-11D and its COBOL compiler?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue May 29 06:59:29 CDT 2018

> On May 29, 2018, at 3:30 AM, Nigel Williams via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:27 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> I have 11D on bitsavers.
>
> this is actually RSX-11D? http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/ias/

IAS is basically RSX-11/D under the covers, with some minor tweaks and with a sort of timesharing added.  If I remember right that involved a new type of partition where memory was managed more dynamically.  I worked on Typeset-11 which was written for RSX-11/D and then ported to IAS, where the timesharing part was left out since we had no use for it.  So the "port" didn't involve any real change, not even for drivers.

At one point DEC pushed to retire RSTS/E and replace it with IAS; that notion was a miserable failure because IAS timesharing wasn't nearly as good.

	paul