I ran across this strange modernistic? Data General ...odd?

Bruce Ray Bruce at Wild-Hare.com
Sat May 26 11:38:41 CDT 2018

DG extensively used both its microNova and microEclipse processors for
various products.  The microNova was used for printer, terminal and
display products around mid '70s, the microEclipse (code named "Alpha")
was heavily used in communications processor add-ons.  I do not recall a
single customer/OEM using the chips in its own products - only board or
systems.  I am curious and will look into this further.   I do not think
it was a hostile attitude of DG's, rather the diverse and competitive
chip market in the 1980s that made DG a non-issue.

The Fairchild 9445 was a very good product, and was an extension of the
Nova 3 architecture.  It had few superior memory MAP and alternative
address extension that I wish were in the DG products.  (BTW, Fairchild
used Nova 3s in its own production facilities.)  Strobe Data created a
successful PC ISA-bus Nova-like, Fairchild-based co-processor that a
significant number of DG OEMs eventually moved to.

MCBA applications were indeed written initially in standard DG Extended
BASIC and later [re]written in ICOBOL (DG Interactive COBOL).  MCBA and
several other OEMs each independently wrote ISAM file libraries to adapt
Extended BASIC for business environments.  MCBA was able to successfully
expand into other hardware vendor markets due to using the "portable
BASIC" (and COBOL) approach and its derivatives are still in use today.

The story of Nova architecture derivatives - technical, business and
legal - is another long story.  And 'yes', Novas and its derivatives are
still used today...

-----

Bruce Ray
Wild Hare Computer Systems, Inc.