OT- Thunderbird ugliness, Was: Eudora email client source code released

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:23:07 CDT 2018

On Wed, 23 May 2018 at 16:28, JP Hindin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Apologies to hijack this one (I can't tell you how impressed I am with
> both the CHM's efforts and Qualcomm's release, I find these things really
> exciting for our hobby) - but I've been having real troubles with TBird in
> the last few years and my obstinacy has been holding me back.

Ditto.

> I run Thunderbird on a 2016 MacBoook Pro (Sierra 10.12.6, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB
> RAM, internal SSD) where I'm pulling via IMAP from Google (their
> professional company service thingy), but maintain a local 24GB cache of
> eMail.

> It's slower than molasses in january. Moving eMail around between
> 'folders' often has it sit and spin the beachball for 2-3 seconds - dozens
> of times a day. And I just can't work out why - I mean, yes, it's a lot of
> ruddy eMail, but it's a monster of a laptop and it should be
> pulling/moving on the SSD when it's getting stuck before it's even tried
> to send the move message to google.

> I _detest_ the gmail interface, I'd really prefer to continue using a
> client like this - but TBird just isn't getting any better.

I actually quite like the Gmail interface, and I've been using it for 14Y
now, but I'd like a fast usable local client. I travel a lot, and I don't
always have Internet access on the road. A proper responsive local email
client, where I could read, comment, and post it all when I get to my
destination, would be great.

T'bird is no longer it, alas. It was for years, and I spent time and effort
moving my email archive 1991-2004 to it. But as you say, it's sluglike in
the extreme with Gmail.

> What am I missing here? Are there better options? Is Thunderbird just not
> designed for large mail sets for people who actually work for a living?

I do wonder myself.

I now use Claws at work. It's quicker. I don't like it, but it does the job.

> for your opinions, my curmudgeonly behaviour is really eating up my time
> and I'm hoping there's a reasonable fix beyond "Suck it up and use gmail".

I've left the CC on.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053