Original CAD code in the wild?

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue May 22 09:31:28 CDT 2018

On 5/20/2018 9:31 PM, Randy Dawson via cctalk wrote:
> For a while I have collected bits of legacy CAD, most recently Martin Hepperle sent me what I believe is the last version of Hank Christianson's MOVIE.BYU, a FORTRAN based 3D modeling and animation system.
>
> I also have experimented with the original Berkley SPICE, also written in FORTRAN.
>

> This weekend, I am reading "the Engineering Design Revolution", a 650 page history of the CAD industry by David Weisberg, who was there and worked for many of the companies in the beginning of the industry, I highly recommend this for anyone interested in CAD:
>

> www.cadhistory.net<http://www.cadhistory.net>
>
> The Engineering Design Revolution<http://www.cadhistory.net/>
> www.cadhistory.net
> The Engineering Design Revolution. The People, Companies and Computer Systems That Changed Forever the Practice of Engineering. By. David E. Weisberg
>

> My question is, did any of the source code for these systems, Applicon, Auto-Trol, Calma, ComputerVision, thousands of lines of primarily FORTRAN ever make it out, where we could read and study this original body of mathematical geometry done on computers?
>

> I know we are primarily a hardware group here, but where is the interest in the software discussed?
>

> Randy

You can add Intergraph to that list, as well (their IGDS CAD software is
 survived bw www.bentley.com - a company that produced a PC version of
Intergraph's IGDS, and which almost got sued out of existence, forced to
merge, and then finally separated and survived).  [The Wiki on
MicroStation indicates that MicroStation was initially sold by
Intergraph.  That is not correct: it was initially a completely separate
company, and sold the software directly].  Intergraph itself is nothing
but a shell.

I still have an Intergraph IP2000 workstation (with software loaded),
install media (but not license keys to load it) and Intergraph disk
controllers, high speed concentrators (pre-Ethernet) and ethernet
controllers.

No source code, though.

JRJ