Restoring a PC Server 500 P/390

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:29:27 CDT 2018

OK I got a PCI P390 card in the bundle of spares but have nothing PCI server style to run it in.
Where I worked we binned loads of X330's which might have been usable...

> > It’s the RAID card that’s the problem, and it seems to have always been
> temperamental. Did you use RAID in your P/325?
>

> I don’t think I did.  Have you tried just putting a different (OS/2-supported)
> disk controller in and just not doing RAID?

That’s, in effect, what I did. Whilst there were Microchannel IDE Controllers I have never seen one. There are no IDE interfaces on the "Planar" so every thing must be on the MCA bus.
So I bought a BusLogic BT646 SCSI card on E-Bay. I also bought an Adaptec card as a spare.  I think I struck lucky with the BT646. It is a simple SCSI/2 card, no raid but it does have a BIOS with support for two bootable drives and a >4GB drive option.
OS/2 has drivers for it so it works out of the box. The OS/2 boot disks find the drive and install the proper drivers.
To compensate for the slower "narrow" drives I bought a SCSI2SD card that puts an SD card on the bus. OS/2 just sees it as a up two four drives depending on how I configure it. At present I have two 4gb drives. The card in it is 32gb so I can add 2 x 12gb drives or 1 x 24gb or some other mix. The CD ROM sites on the same bus. I haven't tried the tape drive yet..

> >> I used mine to run VM/CMS and Linux (under VM) quite well.
> >>

> > I was thinking of trying Linux. I assume you ran Debian?
>

> Indeed I did, although also SLES.  I assume you found my NASPA article on
> Debian on 390 from 2004?

I think that’s the one...